5 Steps Of The Essay Writing Process
The essay writing process may have multiple steps for you to follow, but there are 5 basic steps that can help you get started on the right foot. You know the essay has three main parts including the introduction, body, and conclusion. You just need some guidance on how to form each part with a good topic. This is important as many people may not have technique or skill to complete an assignment of this nature. But, you can create a plan to help you tackle each step part of the writing process. The following areas are important to your essay development as they can lead to a successful writing assignment.
- Brainstorm your topic. Taking time to plan your essay includes seeking a good topic. You can make a list of prompts and ideas that pop into your head. Then, go back over your ideas for a second look and eliminate those that lack your interest. You may need to do some light research to help refine your idea into a solid topic.
- Create an outline. The outline will help you during the research phase. Your outline will include each part of your essay (introduction, body, and conclusion), but with concepts and ideas. The main idea is to have a road map or some form of guidance that will help you organize your notes. For instance, you may have 3 paragraphs that is part of the body portion of your essay. Each has a concept that is a supporting factor of your thesis statement but with additional details.
- Define your thesis or essay purpose. Some students develop their thesis toward the end of the process, while others may have an idea for a thesis statement in the beginning, only to revise it in the end. This states the purpose or reason behind your essay and your research or ideas that follow work to support it.
- Create your rough draft. Once you have taken notes on your topic you can start writing your paper. This is where you beginning forming your essay by taking your notes and creating sentences and paragraphs. You begin to see your essay come together.
- Revise and edit. After completing your essay go back over your content and clean up sentences and paragraphs. Is your thesis well defined? Do you have enough supporting details? Check grammar and rewrite areas if ncessary.